From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 08:15:26 -0800
At 08:21 AM 11/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>D-Lib Magazine, Mon, 15 Nov 2004 8:31 AM PST
>Assessing the Durability of Formats in a Digital Preservation Environment
>http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november04/stanescu/11stanescu.html
>There are two necessary components in any measuring system—the units
>of measurement themselves and the process of applying those units of
>measurement [1]. For example, two easily understood measuring systems are
>the ones used for distance measurement: the English system and the metric
>system.

I'd strongly suggest peeling one layer off this onion and looking here,
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november04/11contents.html

Then, go one layer deeper and read this:
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/november04/11clips.html#DIG-RECORD
and check out the DRAFT AUS Digital Recordkeeping Guidelines and Checklist.

This shows you where you want to be if you're in need of being on the
leading edge of Digital Preservation, and why Australia is one day on the
clock ahead of the rest of us...

Granted, it's easier to get acceptance of process and procedure in a
registry-based environment with fewer people (and fewer attorneys), but the
logic is there for why these considerations are viable.

Larry