From:
"Gervais, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:52:09 -0500
re Lorinda's post, "It has been my experience that the label adhesive will
fail and the only
damage to the document is a dried residue where the label used to be..."

I agree with this assessment as I have seen this many times.  The label also
is unreadable and yellowed sometimes as well.  On a related note, I would
not put elastics around documents as I found elastics stuck on old records I
found in vaults. Other issues were records which were left out of boxes had
a black residue on them, which didn't come off, paper records which were
kept in plastic sleeves were stuck to the plastic and records which were
left on the floor in the basement had moisture and rodent damage (not to
mention the smell).  I guess proper humidity control, heating, cooling,
ventilation, proper storage containers and shelving would alleviate this.
It will be interesting to see how the electronic records survive the next
decades or will they?  Cheers!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Standards Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Intergovernmental and International Affairs Directorate
Policy and Planning Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
25 Nicolas Street, 16th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5