Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:17:49 -0800
Lori Mc Caleb asked, "How long should we retain internally-developed
software programs?"

At American Honda Motor Co., Inc.  the programs are retained in the
Information Systems unit that created them until they have been fully
implemented.  I believe version control is used until the final version is
rolled out.  The retention is 5 years from the end of the project for most
ISD applications.  The Rapid Application Development group that deals with
enterprise-wide or very large applications keeps everything "forever".  (I
believe the retention would be "life of the application" plus some time,
but since their applications become the bones of the dinosaur...

We are the sales part of Honda, so the programs and applications are not
product-related.

Hope this helps,
Lorinda Kasten-Lowerre
Records Management Analyst, Senior
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Torrance, California, USA
Member  ARMA, The Association for Information Management Professionals
<Check out Orange County California ARMA's award-winning website at
ocarma.org