From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:20:45 +1100
David

Here in Sydney Australia, the NSW and Federal Evidence Acts allow for the
production as "best evidence" documents on the medium which you normally
use for business purposes. You must of course be able to prove in court
the integrity of your documents, so if all your staff have graphics
editing software, and the images are stored on a writable medium (eg hard
discs) with no secure audit trails etc, you might be in trouble.

There are a couple of caveats: given we work in a Federation, and under a
Common Law system, the environment is evolving. There has not yet been a
Federal or NSW test case, and I'm not volunteering, so NSW State Records
advises caution in destroying original documents. For this reason, we do
not destroy anything that is contractual in nature, in case the paper
original bearing a signature is required. That's a risk management
decision for you. I worked some years ago with an insurance company, where
the probability of an original signature being a factor in litigation was
assessed as so low as to be not a factor. And anyway, we always settled
out of court in fear of headlines like "Insurance Company Monsters Little
Old Pensioner".

Second caveat is that not all Australian states have brought their
Evidence Acts into line with the Federal one, so when we do business in
those states we need to keep in mind that they are back in the Victorian
era and insist that paper is best evidence.

From the RM view, under the NSW State Records Act records can only be
disposed of properly. It's a moot point in a scanning situation as to when
something becomes a record, which gets back to the process. If you don't
keep all the versions of an email as it floats in through firewalls, proxy
servers etc, why do you have to keep a document as it floats in through
the mail system, into the scanner and THEN into your DMS?

So it's all process integrity and risk management. I'm with Steve on this,
I'd shred the lot. The rest of my organisation doesn't always agree, but
I'm working on them, after that I'll do over State Records, and after that
the judiciary. (just joking folks!).

So if the situation in NSW Australia is any help, that's it.

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck & Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.