From:
Paula Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 10:46:18 -0700
We have found that a petition that does not mandate a legal or regulatory
response is easily conducted by electronic means.

A voice is what this response is asking for.  I have seen a dozen such
petitions make their way to such representatives as Senator Dianne
Feinstein and Senator Barbara Boxer, and get included in the official
record in their discourses in the senate.

Gathering data is a tool that helps in communicating issues as well as
finding out what people believe.  I believe we all accept that polls are a
tool used by governments and polling is primarily conducted by telephone,
but there is no guarantee that the individual on the other end of the line
is who they claim to be.  Polls are conducted by systematic processes of
data collection and used by everyone to determine the interest of
populations.  I don't see the electronic means in collecting information
through a petition to be much different than this methodology of polling.

I use a survey system that allows me to generate information about the
individual, however even in the case of writing a signature on a official
petition for a governmental purpose, the identity of the individual is not
verified by the recipient.

We are trying to get more interest in creating a campus initiative to
support reinstating sufficient funding for the NHPRC's efforts.  I consider
it an important cause and worth the effort, to write a letter as well as
sign an online petition.

We accept all kinds of forms in relation to petitions to the campus, and
take each seriously, even though there is no perfect mechanism to ensure
the signatures are valid.

Paula Johnson
University of California, San Diego