From:
"Mallory, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:27:51 -0500
From the aforementioned article: "To protect patient privacy, the devices
should reveal only vital medical information, like blood type and allergic
reactions, needed for health care workers to do their jobs, Stewart said."

I guess medical ID bracelets aren't good enough?  Most folks I know with
diabetes or a serious drug allergy wear one.  My understanding is that blood
typing doesn't take too long, but I'm certainly not a medical professional.

Larry has a point.  The dogs and cats that are "chipped" are linked to a
database containing the owner's name and contact information.  This database
is proprietary, and owners pay to register their pets in that database.
Organizations wanting to access the database also pay, from what I
understand. If this is the case, are we going to have a massive licensing
situation where hospitals are forced to pay one company whatever fee this
organization deems appropriate to get at these proprietary vital records?

Alicia Mallory