From:
R J Bater MCLIP <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:15:44 -0000
Hello all.

I am mainly a 'lurker' on this list, although I did post a message back in
November where I expressed the opinion that the various 'factions' involved
in managing information and knowledge (RIM included) are all members of the
same family.  I see an 'inclusive continuum' from knowledge management (KM)
down to database management (DBM) thus: KM > CM > DM > RM > DBM.  I
therefore believe that information security is of concern to all involved in
these fields of endeavour, albeit perhaps from different perspectives and
with different priorities.

Regarding Natasha's question of an independent information security role, I
can't see how a single centralized role would actually work.  I spent the
summer working at a European institution in Luxembourg (a bank, actually)
and they have established a distributed structure for information security,
whereby each department has its own 'information security officer' (a
part-time role) with a central role acting as co-ordinator (again
part-time).  I think that's a much more workable structure.  The local
information security officers are the same people who have also taken on
responsibility for ensuring their departments comply with corporate
record-keeping practices, so I guess that this organization, at least, sees
information security as closely related to RIM but not confined to it.

Regards,

Bob