From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:20:34 +1100
-----Jones, Virginia wrote-----
<snip>
Unless what is used is a scanned image of the actual signature, in which
case it would be considered an accurate depiction.
<snip>

------reply--------

Except that attaching a scanned image of a signature is NOT the same as
signing something (digitally or otherwise).

Anyone can scan someone else's signature and embed it into a wordprocessing
document.  This can easily be done without the knowledge, permission or
approval of the 'signer'.  It would be impossible to build a system where
only an authorised person can attach an image or a signature to a document.

SImply put, a proper Digital Signature is a two part system -  A 'public'
key (known to everyone), and a 'private' key (known only to me).  "Signing"
a document is really the process of encrypting the document.  The two keys
are complementary - If i "sign" something with my private key, anyone can
decrypt it using my public key.  If someone signs something with my public
key, only I can decrypt it, using my private key.

There is a short description of this complicated process at
http://www.agimo.gov.au/publications/2002/07/online_auth/pki.

John Lovejoy
My own words, not theirs.