From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:46:33 -0500
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:35:42 -0500, Jones, Virginia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Lori McCaleb wrote
> <IT/IS groups do not want to take on the ownership of the data since
> they are usually supplying a service to another group.>
>
> Very true.  Ownership of the record resides with the business process.
> Think of the servers, etc. as you would a records storage center.

several years ago and at another company this same discussion came up.
The IT department was undergoing a standard Internal Audit (conducted
every 3 years). IA had asked for the IT retention schedule. I informed
IA that IT had there own schedule and was not part of my program
(something decided before I came on board). I provided them with IA
with a memo from IT stating that they had their own retention schedule
and therefore didn't need to be part of the overall RM program.

To make a long story short IT had to admit that their "retention
schedule" was nothing more than a backup tape rotation schedule. They
finally admitted that they didn' t own the tapes, they only stored
them for the business process owner. Took over a year for this to be
admitted.  They were not happy campers to say the least. They did
however exact their revenge by ultimately shooting down the
implementation of an electronic forms package I was seeking to put in
place.

Peter Kurilecz