From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:28:56 -0500
Chris wrote:
<Can you sign a legal document with an "X"? Yea, you can.>
This I know something about.  Signatures by "mark" (for example an "X")
were always witnessed and the witnesses signed with their names.  Often
a notary was used for this purpose. Both the witnesses and the notary
attested that the "mark" was made by the person who claimed to be the
person named in the document and under the "mark." In many cases the
name of the individual signing by "mark" was printed or typed under the
signature.  There are a number of counties in the southwest that have
mining claims and deeds signed in this manner.  Were they accurate or
possibly fraudulent signatures or attestments?  Possibly.  The point is
a specific name can be associated as owner or signer.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division