From:
"Millican & Associates, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:47:05 -0500
I would more compare IM to voicemail:  Used as a convenience instead of
face-to-face or telephone conversations for the most part.

Does your business keep voicemail?  In some cases, businesses may have need
to.  Or, taking it one step further, some businesses may need to record
telephone transactions, just as some businesses may have to keep IMs.

But ... Just because something is recorded doesn't mean you have to, or even
should, keep it.  On the other hand, not having a policy is just begging for
trouble.  So IM content is a record (and so is the content of your
voicemails), and they should be scheduled with other records - usually as
transient communications that can be deleted as soon as they are dealt with.
Because if you're using IM or voicemail for important stuff, you again are
begging for trouble unless you've carefully integrated into your business
processes and provided for its retention as appropriate to support those
processes.

Just my tuppence.

Peter Lundell
Millican & Associates, Inc.