From:
"Schildmeyer, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:41:30 -0600
Let me start with the disclaimer that I don't personally use IM and only
know what I've read on this listserve about it, but I wanted to share
something I read just this morning on this subject.  Back on Feb. 18, Peter
K provided a link to Microsoft's comments concerning the proposed amendments
to the Federal Rules of Discovery
http://www.prestongates.com/Images/pubs/MicrosoftFRPCComments.pdf and a
diagram they provided
http://www.prestongates.com/Images/pubs/SampleNetworkDiagram.pdf.  This is
really interesting reading and provides much useful information about how
computer networks work - I highly recommend reading it (whether you agree
with Microsoft's take on the legal issues involved or not).

On pages 19-20 of their comments, they address the concept of Electronically
"Stored" Information, as opposed to "created" or "transmitted" information.
They point out that for many years we have been creating and transmitting a
lot of information via telephone, radio, and television, but that typically
that information is not recorded by the recipients.  While some activities
like stock brokers or 911 dispatchers routinely record and store such
electronic information, they do it based on law or business need, and are
the exception rather than the rule.

I quote the following from Microsoft's comments, as it bears on this
discussion.  It appears, from what Microsoft states, that whether IM is
recorded and therefore needs to be managed or not depends on a company
consciously choosing to record IM's.  The default would be that IM is more
like a transient conversation in the office than like an email.

"All this electronic information can easily be recorded and stored, but that
must remain the choice of the user.  Only when recorded and *stored* should
all this information be subject to discovery and the proper object of these
Rules.  Email is generally subject to these Rules because by default the
email software records and stores email until the user affirmatively chooses
to delete it.  Instant messaging is different because the leading software
that creates it, including Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger, are designed
by default not to record or store IM sessions.  Just like with a normal
phone call, when the IM session is over or the text window is closed the
messages are not stored.  They are automatically deleted, unless the user
affirmatively chooses to save them."

Greg Schildmeyer, CRM
Director of Records Management
Missouri Secretary of State's Office