From:
Grahame Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:01:01 +0800
Terry, I suggest you inform your organisation of two things:

1. There are some conversations that must be recorded.  Content dictates
record value and notes should be taken of some conversations so they are
recorded.

2. They've used the fact that verbal conversations are undiscoverable
(except from testimony) to say that IMs should be undiscoverable.  Their
reasoning is faulty because of facts mentioned by others, which I would
summarise to:  verbal conversations are undiscoverable because they can't be
discovered, but IMs can and therefore should be managed.  Not only does
content dictate whether something is a record, but medium does play a part.
Although we attempt to mitigate against difference of treatment between
discoverable medium types, there is a marked difference of treatment between
discoverable and non-discoverable types.

I feel like I've missed something but it's not coming to mind, so I'll leave
it to others, so respond again later.

Grahame Gould
Information Co-ordinator
Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
Australia
Web: www.thelastfrontier.com.au

This email may contain confidential information.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender.
The views expressed in this email may or may not be the official position of
the Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley.