From:
Stephanie Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:34:36 -0500
Hello,

I am going to ask a non-records management question so I apologize in
advance.  I am trying to buy a networked multi function printer / copier /
scanner.  I've been trying to find unbiased product reviews but I have not
been successful.  Does anyone out there have any of the following machines
in their office?  If so, are you happy with it?  If not, why not?  Please
email me directly at [log in to unmask]

Minolta BizHub C350, Toshiba eStudio 3511, Canon ImageRunner C3100N, Xerox
WorkCentre M24.

Also, we have not really been dealing with electronic documents or digital
copies of reports.  Generally, I've been putting digital copies of
geological, environmental, engineering reports on CD  then putting the CD's
in the file with the report.  I then note indicate in the file catalogue
that a digital copy is available in the file and I indicate what format it
is in.  I know this system is very basic.  My boss wants to just keeping
digital copies of reports and accessing them on line and not keep paper
copies at all, however, he does not think it is necessary to spend the money
on a document management system.  He wants to just save the reports on a
file server, like someone would in their own computer.  To me, since we
would be saving reports from several mines, this seems like it could over
time, become very difficult to weed through all of the individual files to
find the report one wants.  I also think people will print out their own
copies of reports and we will end up with more paper because instead of
having one copy in the central files, everyone will print out a copy and
keep it in their office, because, the idea is that we will not have central
hard copy files.  Am I being paranoid?

Has anyone out there who only keeps electronic copies of documents but does
not use document management software?  Has anyone tried to store their
companies reports in an organized fashion on a file server?  Did it work out
alright or was it a mess?

Thank you.