From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:31:15 -0500
Let me also pile on the congratulations to the new board members and
also to all the candidates.

Like LarryM, BruceW and BillB ARMA needs to relook at how the
elections are conducted. It was a major move (and one I approve of)
to go to electronic ballots. This shows that association is willing to
move forward. Now as LarryM suggested lets look at some other things.

1. Election time - for me personally lets start the election season at
the Conference. The candidate forum is a great idea and allows members
to see and hear the candidates but unfortunately the election itself
takes place 3 months later. Why cann't members start to cast their
ballots during the Conference.

2. Campaigning. - the current prohibition needs to be rethunk. As
LarryM pointed out members in his chapter didn't plan to vote because
they didn't know who the candidates were. If ARMA can hold webinars on
records management issues couldn't they hold a webinar/telecon that
allows the members to meet the candidates?

3. Chapter participation - While no one should be forced to vote
shouldn't chapter turnout be a part of the chapter of the year
process?

4. Candidate support - I suspect that many of today's rules were
implemented in the distant past to solve problems that may not exist
now, and now serve only to stifle any discussion. As it now stands
folks have to tiptoe around the whole campaigning issue for fear that
someone will point a finger at them and say "you're campaigning!" when
in all likelihood they are only discussing the issues that face the
association.

5. Voting process - continually examine and reexamine the voting
process to make sure that is clean and pure. Let's consider having the
entire process controlled by an independent third party

Peter Kurilecz