From:
Rick Barry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:36:44 EST
Dear Colleagues: As suggested in Terry Schofield's post, there is much more
to intranets or Web sites than content. If content is king, then site  design
is queen. ARM professionals expect great things of records creators in  terms
of their role in deciding on the recordness of email and other electronic
records and in capturing, classifying and communicating those records into  a
trustworthy recordkeeping environment.  But there doesn't seem to be any
corresponding interest in the draconian system interfaces that records creators  are
typically subjected to in order to do our bidding. Showing our interest and
understanding of the importance of interface design (whether intranet, ECMS,
EDMS, ERMS or whatever kind of application) would help us greatly in  enlisting
the support of creators and IT professional alike.

May I recommend two other outstanding references:

The Design of Sites by Douglas K. Van Duyne et al, (2003). This  is one of
the best I've seen. And

The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems by
Jef Raskin (2000). People interested in design and the history of computing will
 recognize Raskin as the renowned inventor of the MacIntosh  who designed it
the way humans would operate it instead of how the device processed
applications. Despite his many contributions this giant felt that there was  still a
very long way yet to go to get human-computer interfaces right. He  passed away
last Saturday, _http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/28/business/28raskin.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/28/business/28raskin.html)    Incidentally,
Raskin and Terry Winograd are two of the human-computer  interaction legends who
very highly recommended Van Duyne's Design of  Sites.

On a separate thread, I'd just like to add my strong endorsement of Maarja
Krusten's suggestion to post the National
Coalition for History Brief, edited  by Bruce Craig, to this list. In my
opinion, it is an excellent  resource.

Regards,

Rick Barry
_www.mybestdocs.com_ (http://www.mybestdocs.com)
Cofounder, Open Reader Consortium
_www.openreader.org_ (http://www.openreader.org)

In a message dated 3/2/2005 12:03:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,