From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 23:58:23 -0400
If your agreement provides for insurance limitations, I would imagine that
you would have a difficult time in securing a better settlement.  However,
if there were some obvious malfeasance, some sort of gross negligence
(merely losing a container would not necessarily represent gross
negligence), perhaps you would have grounds for a law suit.  However, since
I'm only married to an attorney, and am not one myself, this isn't legal
advice by any stretch of the imagination.

One interesting question would be......what would your recourse be if that
same container were lost within company owned facilities?  That's a
realistic question, since I know of no Records Center operation that can
claim complete perfection.

The issues regarding insurance, and options for insuring the value of the
information are considerations that should always be taken into account
BEFORE signing a contract and BEFORE making decisions regarding off-site
vendors.

Doug Allen, CRM, CDIA+