From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 12:30:46 -0700
> I'm presently in my second semester of library school (although I'd
> taken classes many years ago while in law school).
> I absolutely LOATHE the classes I'm in and the method it's being taught.
> (It's distance learning which I've always had positive experiences
> with previously!)
> I don't really WANT to be a librarian - information technology, yes,
> but 'librarian' - no...

 Is it possible that you didn't fully investigate what you were getting into
prior to making the decision to accept this scholarship? I mean, naturally
you wouldn't have too much idea about the manner in which the instructor was
going to present the material... but the content of the courses should have
been rather clear. As I recall from an earlier post, you had some prior
exposure to LIS courses and made the decision to go back to the field for
some reason... and if you were REALLY looking to get into the IT aspects of
the RIM business, why on earth would you have decided to do that through an
MLIS program???

IF I finish this scholarship program, I'm obligated to work in a north
> or central Florida library for two years following graduation.
> I believe there is flexibility in what position I could fill so I
> could work in information technology, but would still have to do it in
> a library setting.

 This is sort of a "rite of passage " type thing it sounds like... but
depending on where you're working, you may find that the organization has
little if any RIM program and would look very favorably on the opportunity
to have someone work "between functions" with an IT perspective. This is
something many Library programs are lacking, and the IT skill set is
something they may be seriously lacking. But again, if you KNEW this was a
requirement of the scholarship program....

My problem is that I really want to move into legal records
> management. This two year 'repayment' would be two years away from a
> field I'm ready to move forward in...

 Well, having an education alone doesn't necessarily say you're "ready to
move forward"... maybe ready to explore, but I think it will take some time
before you're ready to step in and perform the work, even with a JD under
your belt.

There's the usual argument that I shouldn't be a 'quitter', but I'm
> really questioning whether the MLIS will benefit me in legal records
> management.

 Sounds like it's 2 semesters too late to make that decision, unless you're
ready to buy your way out now and give it up, but having the MLIS will
likely make you more saleable when you do enter the job market.

Opinions, please...probably off list is best...

 I would, but most folks would PREFER that these types of things appear
on-list. I mean, if you're willing to bear your soul publicly, you might as
well hear the answers in the same venue.
 Larry