From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 09:09:28 -0700
Forgive me, but it seems that more importantly a company should have a solid
hold process in place in conjunction with a solid, enforceable, and
auditable records and information management program.

Obviously (sorry if I'm condescending) there are certain businesses that are
subject to more scrutiny than others, but unless you have a really good
crystal ball I am not sure how you would predict future legal matters. Again
- have your processes in place. Test them if you need. And train your
employees about what is expected to comply with your records/information
management program.

The point that if you see a competitor's product subject to a lawsuit makes
sense. An example I can think of is in the wood products industry -
hardboard siding. When Louisiana Pacific faced a class action suite
regarding a product failure, it only made sense that others would follow.
And they sure did.

Something else to point out - it disturbs me still to read/hear about legal
departments that are not in touch with what the records management program
is, does, or that they even ignore the function. Worse to hear/read about
firms doling out policy advice without truly understanding what a policy
looks like. Recently again - I asked in a session what is meant by retention
policy. I get the standard pat answer and it ain't at all the same as my
definition. So many examples later, now I'm seeing light bulbs coming on.

Have a great day all. It is supposed to hit 86 here in Seattle today.
Nothing like having our entire summer in one fell swoop.
Rock on!
Sharon Burnett
Seattle WA