From:
Gus Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:33:03 -0500
I'd much appreciate to hear from those of you who are RMs in attorney's
offices...specifically  about how long you maintain case files.  I'm the RM
at a public university and we follow retentions established by our state
bureau of archives and records management.  The retention for litigation
case files in our state is, record copy: 5 years after case closed or appeal
process expired.

I'm going to be meeting with our university attorney in the near future
since we're having a bit of a problem getting our legal department to allow
us to dispose of litigation records that have met the required retention.
For that matter, it appears they want to retain most all records
indefinitely, which is certainly contrary to our RM policies....or any good
RM program.

I've often read the posts here from those in attorney's offices...but I
can't recall the issues discussed.  I'd just like to get a general idea of
how you all maintain your records with regard to retentions, etc.  Then,
I'll be able to more effectively communicate from my position as a records
manager what I think will not only work in our legal department...but, most
important be agreeable to them (the attorney).

Thanks in advance for any info shared.

Gus Harris
Univ. of West FL
Pensacola, FL