From:
Glenn Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 07:52:23 +1000
Paul

Others have gone into considerable detail on aspects of this, but I'll add
the obvious. If you are comparing the labour cost of scanning vs the
labour cost of microfilming, there is no difference. It's exactly the same
as photocopying. Take a document. Prep it (remove from file jacket, remove
staples, etc. Lift lid, place page 1 on platen, close lid, press BGB (big
green button). Repeat for all pages. Reassemble document (restaple, put
back in jacket etc).

Indeed, at several scanning bureaux I've used, they have the same front
end for both processes. Whether you want images on CD or film is an output
option off the same process, so the charges for this component are the
same.

Obviously output costs will be different, as will media storage. And Larry
has pointed out the need to pay close attention to indexing costs - if you
are doing it in house and / or don/t have access to the sophisticated OCR,
ICR or similar software the bureaux use, your costs could be significant,
and I suspect film would be more expensive than electronic. I think doing
evidence-standard QA on in house filming would be more expensive than
electronic too.

Note that I say 'I think' - that's because I haven't been involved in film
for years. I always recommend electronic, largely because all staff have
suitable viewing, indexing, QA and storage equipment on their desks - it's
called a PC hooked up to the company LAN / WAN, all paid for by someone
else.

Factor that in too!

Glenn

Glenn Sanders
Document Manager
x 32831, 0407 187 333

Documents - the corporate memory (everything else is anecdote)

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your business contact details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.