From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:07:23 -0400
I suspect that I'm about to go "off topic" a bit on scanning v. filming, and
don't want to suggest ensuring that the exercise become too much more
complex.  However, the use of digital technology offers much more than a
different format for a document.  It's certainly a good idea to let
departments know what process changes they're apt to experience, any cost
differentials that may be involved, but there's much more that the use of
imaging can allow an organization to accomplish, IF implemented correctly.

What I'm suggesting, especially in relatively high volume environments, is
that imaging offers the opportunity for enterprising organizations to employ
other, related technologies to transform a specific business process.  BPM
(Business Process Management) can offer organizations the opportunity to (1)
establish and measure work throughput goals on a top-down basis, (2) adjust
resources available to accomplish those tasks, within the paramaters of the
goals, and (3)provide for "predictive optimization" that helps organizations
manage fluctations in workloads.....on a real-time basis.  If that sounds a
bit like "workflow on steroids", it is.  Additional opportunities to
incorporate process reporting, to eliminate the generation or reliance on
paper, to manage related email traffic, etc. can also be considered and
perhaps included.

While our "customers" or end-users may initially focus on the relative
benefits of film v. image (by the way, they can have it "both ways" - if
there is a need for an eye-readable long-term storage solution), we may want
to enlighten them about what else can be accomplished with the use of  BPM
or ECM (Enterprise Content Management) solutions.

Thanks!  Hope that didn't put too many on the listserv to sleep!!!!

Doug Allen, CRM, CDIA+