From:
"Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:15:27 -0500

I read the article.  On the one hand, it's another instance of the IT
world highjacking a records management concept and butchering it.
(Today "ILM," yesterday "archiving.")  For example in a fairly long
article the words destroy, delete and purge were used a total of one
time.

On the other hand it talked about using business rules to migrate data
to various storage media as the data ages.  Where the data is stored
would be transparent to the user.  Larry, this ties in a bit with an
article I think you mentioned a few weeks ago where people were debating
the wisdom of splitting systems into active records v. inactive
records--the world isn't always that black-and-white and the end users
don't really want to understand the distinction when they need to access
aged data.  The ILM article just didn't take the discussion to the next
step--applying a retention schedule.

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

>>> Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> 6/9/2005 1:39:10 PM >>>

> On a similar note: I came across an interesting article on ILM
> (Information Lifecycle Management) software. It's written from an IT
> perspective. Still, it offers an interesting look at the evolving
way
> the IT sector views electronic-based records "management" and
> "archiving."

Don't get me started on this one...
ILM my eye!!
Larry

Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged,
confidential and covered by the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521.

If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, distribute,
or reproduce this transmission.

If you have received this e-mail transmission in error, please
notify us immediately of the error by return email and please
delete the message from your system.

Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
http://www.rkmc.com