From:
"Lorrin Read, CRM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:45:18 -0400
Answers below:

Lorrin Read, CRM/NS
Advanced Business Analyst
Records and Information Compliance
FirstEnergy Corporation
76 South Main Street
Akron, Ohio 44308-1890
phone: 330-384-5648
cell: 330-414-1826
fax: 330-255-1099
email: [log in to unmask]

                      "Jones, Virginia"
                      <[log in to unmask]        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by: Records         Subject:  Microfilm Aperture Cards
                      Management
                      Program
                      UFL.EDU>

                      06/10/2005 12:49
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Records
                      Management
                      Program

I am curious how many organizations still use microfilm aperture cards.
If you do, please take a few moments and answer the following questions.
Reply to the list or directly to me, whichever you prefer.  I will
summarize for the list.

1. Does your organization use aperture cards? Yes, extensively for disaster
recovery and active reference in some operations.

2. If so, what size microfilm do you load/mount in/on the cards? All 35mm.

3. Does your organization still produce aperture cards? Very little, most
cards are produced by a vendor using images that we FTP to them.

4. If so, what camera/equipment do you use? The only devices we now use are
3M planetary processor cameras.

5. Are you still able to procure cards for loading or mounting the
microfilm? I assume you mean punching and printing the Hollerith code. We
do have equipment for that (also 3M).

6. If so, what brand or supplier do you use? I think we still use 3M cards.

7. Does your organization still have aperture card repositories (i.e.
records on aperture card microfilm?) Yes, we have a large centralized
engineering file room for our non-nuclear facilities. Each nuclear site has
a central aperture card filing area and there are numerous satellite files
for our wires business.

8. If so, are the cards accessed? Yes, but less frequently as we have more
access to electronic images.

9. What reader or reader-printer do you use? We use Minolta and Tameran
reader printers along with Oce aperture card scanners.

10. Are you aware there are national and international standards for
microfilm aperture cards? Absolutely.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager
Information Technology Division
Newport News Dept. of Public Utilities
Newport News, VA

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.