From:
"Michael, Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:14:58 -0600
It depends on your definition of a "standard file box", what size of
paper you are using, whether the pieces of paper are in folders, whether
the paper is stapled or otherwise bound, whether the paper is new, and
the overall condition of the paper.

The "standard" box that I use is 14-3/4" x 12" x 9-1/2".  I just put 7
reams of copier paper (3,500 sheets) in it and there is plenty of room
on the sides and top to add at least another 500 sheets.  So, I say that
4,000 sheets of 8-1/2" x 11" paper "fit in a standard file box".

If you are looking at estimating the amount of boxes that will be filled
based on files that are currently in your organization's file cabinets
or shelves, may I suggest that you measure the number of filing inches
you have and then divide that by the length of your standard filing box.
That is a better way of estimating the number of boxes that will be
filled by an existing quantity of files.

Hopefully, description has helped you frame the problem you are trying
to solve.

Lee Michael, CRM