From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:35:05 -0700
Ryan Speer wrote:
>American archivists have recognized the need for more
cooperation between the two disciplines for many, many years.

Ryan, I couldn't agree more with your statement about the need for
greater cooperation between RM and Archives. In fact, this has been an
ongoing feature of my professional life, having started my career in a
City of Portland OR program that was set up to be a model of such
cooperation. Right now, I would say the two greatest challenges we face
in Multnomah County relate to effectively managing electronic records,
and establishing a sustainable archival program. Just the interface
between these two issues alone urges the close cooperation of all
stakeholders: archivists, records managers, information technology
professionals, customers, and the vendor community.

I would, however, urge caution in understating the complexity of these
challenges. The unique perspective of all of these groups creates a
tension which, in my mind, is healthy, and, if considered in an overall
strategic framework, promises more sustainable long term solutions. One
area of tension, for example, relates to potential conflicts between the
standards set by archives, and the business needs seen by records
management. These are not mutually exclusive concerns, and when
successfully reconciled ultimately promise a greater source of
documentation for archives, and a greater knowledge base for the
organization and its stakeholders.

Our goal in Multnomah County is to help create an organization that is
transparent and accountable to its citizens at the lowest possible cost.
That's about as strong a statement I can make of the need for a
sustainable archival approach matched to an effective program of records
management services. And while the reconciliation of the various
perspectives needed to achieve this often involves vigorous advocacy,
ultimate success lies in that advocacy being carried out in a climate of
respect, open-mindedness, and listening.

I'm not sure what benefit would accrue from merging these various
professions into one. Perhaps it would make life easier for those who
see the "other side" as the "enemy", however, that is more of a
challenge related to professional culture and communications. What it
almost certainly would do is lower the imagination brought to the table
when dealing with the myriad challenges we face. That imagination
oftentimes is generated by creative tensions which should never be
watered down. They should be encouraged.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records & Distribution Services Manager
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution & Stores
(FREDS)
1620 SE 190th Avenue
Portland OR 97233
phone: (503)988-3741