From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:28:52 -0700
On 6/24/05, Joanne Seitter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Larry wrote
>
> > If you want a lengthy discussion of the "sins of the use of fasteners",
> > post this question to the Archives List.
>
> In my former
> life as an archivist, rubber bands were definitely "VERY BAD THINGS."
> So I will say if any of the records that are being held together by
> rubber bands ...

 All kidding aside =| , they are potentially damaging in the storage of
cetain types of records as well, the most prtominent variety I can speak to
is microfiche and microfilm aperture cards. And most vendors that produce
them (in smaller batches, at least) ALWAYS send them back when finished in
this manner until you ask them not to.

The worst case was a vendor that wrapped an NCR paper copy of the invoice
around the cards as a packing list and used a rubber band to hold it in
place!!

 Of course, just about any fastener is on the list of
> very bad things.

 SEE?!?!? I KNEW IT!!! =)

 Now that I am in RM, I have lightened up on the use of fasteners, after
> all, most of what I deal with is going to be dumped in a shredder in 7
> years or less, so who cares. I still use a pencil all the time.

 Well, unless you have an extremely high volume shredder that can chew
through binder clips and the like, or a bulletproof warranty, I'm sure you
still care somewhat.

 You can
> take the archivist out of the archives, but..........................

  Won't touch this one...
 Larry