From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:15:13 -0600
Susan,

Sorry, not that quick of a question!

I think Doug is too low  and correct about the variables, Paul's text book
is too high - on average!  Michael, good get, want a job?  And I would give
Gerry the Award for closest guess of a good average.  But then again I have
only been doing these types of estimates for a living for 23 years and as a
HATFIELD, I love a good feud!

Standard file box i.e. 12X15 or 11x24 or 9x24? all are considered standard!
Let's assume 12x15!

Now letter, legal or computer printout size documents? Letter size fits in
12 inch width so we have 15 linear inches of paper in the box. Legal size
fits in 15 inch width so we have 12 linear inches of paper in the box!
Computer printouts are usually stacked from bottom to top so only 10 inches
of paper!

Ok, next - are the documents loose or in file folders? Loose documents can
be more compressed than in file folders. File folders take up a lot of room.
The type of file folders make a huge difference as well - regular manila or
legal 3 part heavy paste board?

To figure YOUR documents per box - measure linear inches, count docs per
linear inch and multiply.

For example - 12x15 inch box, letter size docs so figure 13 linear inches
(you usually leave enough room to get your fingers between files for box
handling and retrieval) So let's figure 175 docs per inch and you come up
with 2275 documents per box. You should use an average of docs/linear inch
from at least 3 boxes in the series. If you are going to round your numbers
always round up. No one ever gets upset if you estimate a little high but it
gets real sticky if you are too low due to the unanticipated additional
expenses. You must perform this procedure for every different records series
to be anywhere close to accurate and even within a record series if the
filing system, paper weight or type of folders used changes significantly!

I guarantee my estimates of volume within 10% for projects. I have a "self
help" section on my web site that covers this issue in a bit more detail
hmmm, looking back maybe not more detail but always accessible

One other note: if you are measuring for a conversion project, either
filming or scanning, then you cannot just count the documents but the images
you will have to take - very important - especially if you have a lot of
double sided documents - you can actually double the number of images you
may have to take in simplex mode. So unless you are able to scan or film in
duplex mode you must make sure you take all these things into account.

So much for your quick question, eh!

Janie Wait

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President