From:
"Schildmeyer, Greg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:38:08 -0500
But Doug,

As you yourself pointed out in your excellent response to Bernie Chester
in the Scanning Rates thread, doing an estimate for and setting up an
imaging project involves SO MUCH MORE than just the page count. At the
least you have to consider if the pieces of paper have information on
one side, two sides, or mixed.  You have to consider if you want to
capture each image as a single page document, or do you want to have
multi-paged documents.  You have to account for variations in paper
size, quality, text, etc.  Not to mention the prep work, quality
control, indexing, and on and on.  So I would argue that you are really
trying to estimate *images* for an imaging project and the cost to
produce each image in a satisfactory way, not *pieces of paper*.

At the very best, a count of *pieces of paper* might give someone a
gross starting point to begin planning for an imaging project, but it
sure isn't the unit of measurement for making informed decisions.  It
might get you into the stadium, but it won't get you to your box seat
behind home plate.

And that's all I'm going to say about that for this Friday afternoon!

Greg Schildmeyer, CRM
Director of Records Management