From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:18:25 -0700
I left the office last Thursday for SE Arizona; close to the border;
went down for the weekend to visit an old ARMY friend who rode his
horses across country; I greeted him when he arrived.  He and I worked
together for a year 30 or so years ago; my last military overseas duty
station was his first.  We have been friends ever since; Here is his
website.  (It was hot in Arizona; over 100; low humidity though; felt
good.  The beer was cold and plentiful...; availed myself of way too
much of it.  Missed an earthquake and a violent rainstorm and flood
while gone.)

<snip>
http://home.alltel.net/perduew/
<snip>

Said all that to say this; sorry I did not meet your expectations by
failing to reply to these postings on a timely basis.  Got back to the
office this morning and have 159 new e-mail notes; and one of my
employees did not show up (overslept), and another is off today.  Then I
had to go downstairs and greet some visitors who are here to look at a
communications software system and process.  I am also preparing this
week for vacation the week of July 4th; including company at my home the
end of this week and the week after returning from vacation.  Vacation
will be at Buck's Lake in N. California; we rent a big cabin, lots of
friends, lots of food and beverage; will take my speedboat up behind my
"Suh 'Bourbon" (big block 454 rat), and have fun.  We see one or more
bears up there every year.  This will be the 4th annual  "Beer, Bears,
Boats, BBQ, Birthday @ Buck's Lake" week.

Lemme see...; why am I typing this note?  Oh yeah...;
From the dusty recesses of my memory banks..., back in the old paper
records paradigm world, a records center box was 10" X 12" X 15"; and
the industry standard average sheets of records per inch was 200.  This
provided an average of 3000 sheets per box.  Other factors played a part
too; having the clients leave an inch of two of space for easier access
purposes; size and number of file folders, any fasteners, etc.

Having said all that...;
1.  Susan has to leave the comfy confines of a university and take a
real job :>) and make more money.
2.  Archivists are underpaid in general, too bad there are not more of
them in the corporate world; that should work to bring up the salary
they can demand.
3.  Clinton....; if you got nothing nice to...; never mind...; no
comment.
4.  I have a clinical and pathological hatred towards the usage of
paper as a records media.

Now, back to the salt mines...

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/24/05 05:55AM >>>
I'll take Doug's remark as an invitation to jump back into the
seminar.

At the risk of bringing Steve in Reno into this debate, the responses
are
very "Clintonesque," it all depends upon what the definition of the
word
"fit" is.  (And yes, Steve, we all know that you hate paper.)

<snip>

So the bottom line of all this is that we have given Susan freedom of
choice
and she can choose the one that she prefers.  (But I hope it's mine
rather
than Doug's.)

Now let's see if I've goaded Steve into joining the conversation.

Paul R. Scott, CA, CRM
Records Management Officer
Harris County, TX