From:
Terry Schofield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:27:04 -0400
Hello, List.  I've spent much of my morning reading through the archives; I'm
now ready to seek advice from the experts.

There's a long and frustrating story leading up to this question, but I'll spare
you the details and throw out this question.

Question:  If you were to recommend a process for destroying /shredding paper
records, which of the following two options would you choose:

Option 1 - An on-site vendor brings a truck to our campus, and drives to each of
our four buildings collecting the contents of locking 64-gallon containers and
shreds them in the respective parking lots. No one from our company is tagging
along to witness the destruction of the materials.  A Certificate of Destruction
is provided at the conclusion of the destruction, indicating the number of
containers shredded. The Vendor, who is located out of state, is not NAID
certified.  Not much information is available about the vendor because their
website is a home page with no information available.  I believe they are a
one-man operation.

Option 2 - An off-site destruction vendor, who comes to our site, collects
locking 96-gallon containers from each of the four buildings and replaces them
with empties.  No one from our company is accompanying them to collect the
containers. Vendor takes the locked containers to their facility, located about
20 miles from here, and shreds the contents of the collected containers - no one
from my company is witnessing this destruction.  A Certificate of Destruction is
sent to us providing the number of containers shredded.  The Vendor is NAID
certified, and we have a successful relationship with them as our offsite
storage vendor.

Additional details:
Cost is not a factor.
Materials being shredded could include our HR records, but other than that, no
other "personal" information.
Materials being shredded also include business data for our member companies,
and confidentiality is essential.
We are a profit-neutral company, and are heavily regulated by FERC.

I realize there are probably many other factors to consider, but given the
situations described, do you see one as a riskier option than the other?

How critical is it to accompany a vendor and witness destruction?

I have a definite opinion on this.  I would really like to know which option you
would choose and why.  I'm trying to assess if I'm off base with my opinion, or
gather points to build an argument to support my opinion.

Thank you all for your anticipated feedback.

Terry Schofield
Sr. Records Management Analyst
(610) 666-4519

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the system
manager.  This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee, you should not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
this e-mail from your system.  If you are not the intended recipient you are
notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance
on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  - PJM
Interconnection, LLC