From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2005 14:10:46 -0400
In doing some other research today, I ran into the transcript of an
open session of THE DoD HISTORICAL RECORDS DECLASSIFICATION ADVISORY
PANELin 2000.  I found it interesting for the insights it provided into
how DOD then were grappling with various elecronic records issues,
including use of e-mails by flag officers and general officers, VTCs,
etc.

One of the speakers was the Historian for USEUCOM.  He mentioned that
97% of records relating to certain Kosovo operations were electronic
only.  The roles and presence -- or lack -- of records managers and
archivists also are mentioned.

Check it out, interesting stuff, but easiest to read if you print it
all out.  It is a verbatim transcript of a long meeting which starts
out discussing records declassification, moves on to USEUCOM record
keeping, and wraps up with a discussion of POW/MIA issues.

If you print it out, you can skim through to the sections that most
interest you, it runs 54 pages.  There are some errors - the
transcriber used "prosperity" where the speaker most likely said
"posterity."  The USEUCOM historian is shown as saying flag jacket
where he just as well might have said flak jacket (there's an implied
reference to a previous session which might have been somewhat heated).
 And so forth.  So, be on the lookout.

The link is
http://www.dod.mil/nii/org/sio/security/hrdap/24march2000.html

One of the people listed as attending is Frederick J. Graboske, Chief
Archivist, Marine Corps Historical Center.  Fred is my former boss from
NARA, the one whom I supported in my testimony, as described in my
posting yesterday.  He received numerous performance awards for his
work at NARA with the Nixon tapes and later had a very successful
career at the MCHC.  He retired from civilian government service just a
couple of weeks ago.  Good man.  I know a couple of the other people
listed as well, including Jeane Schauble, the NARA Records
Declassification Division director.  She was my sister's former boss, a
job she did very well.

Maarja