Date:
Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:13:46 -0700
"Still, it is worth thinking, what would any of you do, if faced with a
really serious ethical quandary involving records of _critical_ national
import. I'm not a records manager. I don't know the ARM community well
enough to know why turnout was so light for Shelley's presentation.  She
wrote her book in the 1990s, perhaps the turnout for her session would
have been greater if it had come out after the business and
recordkeeping scandals that occurred in the private sector at the turn
of the 21st century.  At any rate, Rick, I believe you were right in
trying to work her into the conference program."

Thank you, Marja and Rick. I was worried that I would not have enough
reading over the holiday. While some of the deeper concepts are probably
beyond me (I am a simple Idaho boy now and have been called a "Slack
Jawed Yokel" by at least one list member). I do believe I have some
insight into this issue. I have been an Archivist for about 15 years and
a Records Manager just as long. I have had several conversations with
myself over this same issue for years.

Perspective is not considered a healthy trait within our records
management profession. Slow to start on the tech revolution we prefer
not to dwell on the past mistakes of our youthful profession.
"historically" and I use the term loosely, we have increasingly leapt to
embrace new technologies in an overaggressive stab at establishing
relevancy in a modern business world. This has allowed us to survive and
in no small measure succeed (look at salaries today compared to ten
years ago). However in the process we have made Archival decisions with
profound consequences. We have lost quite a bit of the 60's and 70's.
Who among the hard working RM profession want to dwell on this reality.

Archivists are all about perspective and not ready enough to grapple
with the rate of progress. Looking at our collective memory as their
ultimate demesne. They will make relevant the information that
eventually comes to them. Archivists tend to walk behind the technology,
conservative and moody. They are very aware of what has been lost and
seem more willing to cast the burden of blame forward to the business
folks that created the situation.

I know I am not being fair.

Throw into the mix a broad range of information managers and
administrators from diverse professions and the issue become even more
clouded. Defensive walls are established and penetrating them will
become increasingly difficult as we try to keep our relevancy alive and
vital.

Should we establish clear lines of communication? My fleet of therapists
all say communication is good. However I would rather see us embrace the
insanity. Archivist need to become Records Managers and Records Managers
need to become Archivists. We should all have the same base of
knowledge. Should we specialize beyond that? Yes. Should we have
historians at conferences? Yes. I personally would like to see a core of
professional development seminars that are presented at the conferences
that are more in line with required if you are going to claim to be a
Records Manager.

Until we require our profession to develop the apathy and ignorance will
dominate. I would also had that there is a large dose of hubris attached
to the separate professions. We all believe we already know the story so
why attend.

Well I am off to eat some BBQ and soak up the rays. Happy fourth

Chris Flynn