From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 07:44:09 -0400
Kirk:
In addition to the other excellent suggestions already posted, I would
like to comment on the possibility that the customer service rep you
spoke with was relying solely on information in an electronic system.
As many of us in the RIM profession know, retention of data in an
electronic system is not always based on information value or even
common sense ("What do you mean a customer might wait more than six
months to request verification of a previous service call?"  "We don't
have enough server space to keep all that "old" stuff that long."  "If
no one has looked at that data in XXX months, then they probably won't
need to."  And so on.).  One of RIM's biggest current issues is the
mis-application of "retention" to data and electronic documents in IT
systems.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager