From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:15:00 -0400
Welcome back, Peter!  I don't remember whether you subscribe to the Chronicle of Higher Education.  Anyway, I thought I'd add a RAINDROP about release of email records at the University of Georgia.

This RAINDROP was startling to me, I had not realized the extent to which the University of Georgia releases information under open records' laws.  I'm surprised that some of what is described here was not deemed exempt from disclosure but I'm not very familiar with the differing standards applied by various states.  I've always worked only in the Federal arena.  To read the article, see the forwarded link from my subscription to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

An article from The Chronicle of Higher Education was forwarded to you
by:  [log in to unmask]  This article, "Paper Trail," is available online at this
address:

http://chronicle.com/temp/email.php?id=jjv9b874k93cfre7adau0jwt1qtmey4b
This article will be available to non-subscribers of The Chronicle
FOR UP TO FIVE DAYS after it is e-mailed.

The article is always available _to Chronicle subscribers_ at this
address:  http://chronicle.com/weekly/v51/i45/45a02001.htm

Extract:  "Academics are legendary for their feuds. Petty disagreements, vindictive behavior, personal insults -- most colleges have seen them all. The University of Georgia, where professors in the history department are entangled in what one of them calls a "knock-down, drag-out fight," is no different. This one, though, is all on paper.

Upset after the department voted narrowly against hiring his wife, Alexei Kojevnikov, a historian of science, got hold of records and e-mail messages of his dean, his department chairman, and four of his colleagues. The hundreds of pages of correspondence and notes include salary offers to outside professors, opinions about job candidates' qualifications, and records of tenure decisions and spousal hires. The documents even refer to one administrator's cancer diagnosis.

How did he manage to find such sensitive information? He simply asked for it."

PS  For those of you with access to CHE, the column "Bloggers Need Not Apply" may also be interesting, especially for young job seekers.