From:
JESSE WILKINS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:28:11 -0600
The Internet Archive was created in 1996 as the institutional memory of the
online world, storing snapshots of ever-changing Web sites and collecting
other multimedia artifacts. Now the nonprofit archive is on the defensive in
a legal case that represents a strange turn in the debate over copyrights in
the digital age.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/13/technology/13suit.html?ex=1278907200&en=377b4b470d4593e0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Discussion of ramifications can be found on Slashdot here:
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/07/13/0527236.shtml?tid=95&tid=17

My take: Anything made publicly available is, by definition, publicly
available. That's the way the web works. For those organizations who have
made retention and disposition decisions about public-facing websites, you
should be aware of things like the Internet Archive - which are not, in my
opinion, breaking any copyright laws (and I am not a lawyer, either) and
take them into account in your policies.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, LIT, EDP, ICP
Metalinear Media