From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:01:01 -0700
Elizabeth Fairfax said:
>Archivists who manage institutional programs do all that you do Bruce, they
>deal with budgets, process administration,human resources, work flow
>analysis, facilities management, marketing,  project management, operations
>management, and many other business functions.  Many of them learn this in
>their archival training programs if they come out of a history based
>program. I did.

Well, you must have come from a special program, because many of the
archivists I've met during my 20+ years all gave me the "deer in the
headlight look" whenever I starting discussing such topics as cost
accounting, operations management, budgeting, marketing, etc.  Their
master's degree program typically required courses specific to historical
topics, with maybe a couple of courses in preservation techniques.  They may
have taken an introduction to business or economics class as an elective,
but that is as close to a "true" business course as they've attended.

That aside, the question on the table (so to speak) and the one that the
profession needs to address is what background better prepares and provides
more opportunities for records managers seeking employment with Fortune 500
or other private companies - archival or business?  (As mentioned earlier,
this is where I am seeing most the growth in RM positions.)

The answer to the question above should be considered when defining what
core competencies, as Chris Flynn stated earlier "are required if you are
going to claim to be a Records Manager."  If I were a betting man (which I
am not) I'd put my money on business...

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Manager, Records Management
Sempra Global
619-696-4671
619-696-2534 (Fax)
619-952-7145 (Cell)

"While you're at it, you might as well
      add discovery to death and taxes."
                               Nicholas Ralph Baum

"Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCal Gas,
and Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities
Commission."