From:
Vaughan Spooner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:54:18 +0200
Hi,

Sorry to be a bother again.

I am currently on a project to recommend a communications and document
management system for a capital project (a rapid rail system worth some
$1 billion) in South Africa over the next 4 years to be competed in time
for the football world cup in 2010.

We have four major partners in the joint venture and a myriad of
systems. Our Client uses a Bentley-based system called ProjectWise and
contractually we must deliver all documentation within ProjectWise, both
data & files.

The systems we are evaluating are -

*       Aconnex - an Australian originated web hosted system that has a
presence in Oz, US, Europe and Middle East. Basically system is hosted
on the web and everyone logs-in to use, cost model mainly appears to be
a monthly charge on server usage. We have currently started using it on
a JV at the Dubai International terminal expansion.
*       ProjectCentre - a US (?) based web hosted system, used by one of
our partners as a post box for large format files and mail system for
projects being executed away from their offices in Paris. In the office
they are using a propriety version of Documentum.
*       ProjectWise - a Bentley based system that appears to have come
out of the need to manage the drawings/documents created in a CAD
environment. Did a review of functionality 2 years ago when the product
was a "black box" (not much in the way of standard functionality but
anything could be configured). Now used by our Client as a standard
document management system but it seems that functionality has developed
quite a bit towards an asset information management system.

These are over and above SmartPlant Foundation to which I have already
had some feedback on - grateful thanx.

Any information anyone is willing to share will be most appreciated.

Vaughan

Tel       +27 11 456 1056

Fax      =27 11 455 2511

Disclaimer