From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:43:25 -0700
The GLA Chapter has a great program that goes throughout the year...

Many Chapters in their planning sessions (which are typically held over the
summer months) develop a full year of Programs and that seems to work well
in larger, more established Chapters. In Golden Gate, we hold quarterly
meetings and attempt to keep our structure for meeting topics a little more
fluid. Because we have 3 months between meetings, we give the members an
opportunity to choose where they want the Program to come from and then we
develop content (and attempt to find speakers) based on supporting that.
This won't work in all environments, but it seems to work well in ours,
likely in a large part because of the mix of members we have.

Interesting request. The recent Beacon Report made a great point of the need
> for HQ/chapter relations. Drop them a note and see what they have to
> offer.

Gee Bill... do you think we'll ever see the "Year in a Box" come back to
life? =) At one time, ARMA HQ participated in the development of a box of
materials, including "canned" presentations that could be used by Chapters
throughout the year. It wasn't intended to be a mandated use for all
Chapters, but it gave some struggling Chapters something to work with. We've
asked on a couple of occasions over the past 3 years if this was going to be
resurrected, but it doesn't seem as if it will. But who knows? The Beacon
report may provide the necessary momentum to get this to happen.

A highlight panel would include reps from RIM, IT, and Legal for an
> "interdisciplinary approach to information management" program. Great way
> to show the
> inter-dependence that has grown over the years.

Another great idea from someone who is filled with them! Y'know Bill, if I
didn't know better, I'd think you must have been around this Association for
what, 50 years or so?? =^)

Our members have recently asked for Roundtable Discussions on the basic RIM
topics, like how to do research for a retention schedule, how to communicate
a destruction moratorium, how to perform a records inventory, how to audit a
RIM program, how to market your services within your organization... all of
which could cover a 2 hour meeting or even bridge a COUPLE of meetings! And
these are topics that almost all members will have something to offer input
on, so they truly are interactive and result in a GREAT WAY to get
networking to happen between members between meetings.

Larry