From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:16:06 -0700

> "This topic has been covered in depth or at least multiple times in the
> listserv archives- Please check there."
> Sure - the list archives is a fabulous resource and I will never deny
> that.

 I hope NO ONE WOULD... =)

But I think when it comes to questions - albeit basic
> questions - about the development of retention schedules there is always
> room for more comments and input. Retention schedules are an art and if
> those of us "old hands" don't share our secrets, the art will die.

 Well then, "Long Live Art"... whoever he is... and all adiing aside =|
you're right, but some of this (especially the general answers to the
general questions about researching retention periods) IS out there,
repetitively.

Finding a good example of a general schedule could be tough, but they're out
> there.

 Ohyeahyoubetcha... and the initial response to check the CFR was close to
providing one of the better suggestions. The actual site to check is
http://www.archives.gov/records_management/ardor/ which is the index site
for the National Archives General Records Schedules. Keep in mind that hese
are FEDERAL requirements for retention of records and the identified series
and retrntion periods may be longer than you are required to keep anything,
but it's a good starting point.
 Larry