Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:47:42 EDT
Having owned an on-site destruction company on the East Coast, I have never
seen this type of penalty in a shredding contract.  I have seen a number of
other ways to "lock" a client in.  A couple of things to keep in mind...

1.) You should have a contract for your document destruction service.  A
contract will spell out the relationship with your vendor and thier
responsibilities.  After all you are handing over your company's confidential documents and
there is a need to spell out clearly what they are responsible to do with that
information

2.) Most contracts are negotiable and the first draft is a starting point.
It is standard in most industries that use contracts to put as much beneficial
language for the vendor as possible in the contract.  If you do not like
something in the contract ask for it to be removed or changed.

3.) You have been using the service of this company for some time with no
contract.  They want you to sign a contract to protect thier business from
competitors.  You could leave now and go to a competitor so you have that advantage
to use.  Your attitude should be change the contract so it is mutually
agreeable for both companies or you will be forced to talk to other vendors.  I am
sure that will get there attention and encourage them to be more flexible.

Let me know if I can be of more help.  Good luck

Marc Pontbriant