From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 12:26:12 -0400
Fascinating article, I'm glad you posted a link to it, Peter.  While you were on vacation, Robin Riat posted a link to a (now) archived discussion of this issue on slashdot.  See
http://www.lists.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0506D&L=recmgmt-l&P=R7810&m=35760

Did anyone read through the Slashdot postings?  The archived version is at
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/06/26/218250&from=rss
It was interesting to see that some of the posters assumed that archivists want to "archive everything."  Or they posted from a premise that people in the archives and records management fields want to save permanently (?) all government e-mail, rather than looking for selective retention.   Some of the posters showed very little knowledge of records appraisal and records management but, as Robin pointed out, that forum mostly attracts people in other professions.

BTW, thanks, Sharon, for triggering a fascinating discussion here yesterday on managing and selectively archiving e-mail.  There clearly are many challenges.  I agree with those who said the key is good records awareness (a record is a record regardless of medium) and good training.  I know something about those areas but not much about records  management software.

I'm curious, for those of who who have ERMS in place that capture e-mail, does anyone have any observations on the software packages you are using?  I'm especially interested in your views on how interaction between records creators and records managers, how intrusive or nonintrusive users perceive the software to be, etc.  Yes, I've already looked through the Recmgmt-L archived postings, LOL.  I'm just looking for fresh perspectives from people who may currently be piloting or using ERMS software in 2005 and who feel able to comment publicly on their ongoing experiences.  Of course, I recognize some institutions don't want people to comment on such things and I do respect that.  Since I've already looked through the List archives, I'm especially looking for comments from people who haven't already posted to the List recently on their experiences with ERMS capture of email.  But anyone else should feel fee to reply, of course.

Thanks,

Maarja

Maarja Krusten
GAO Historian
Office of Quality and
     Continuous Improvement (QCI)

>>> Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]> 07/26/05 8:01 AM >>>
MIT Technology Review
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/07/issue/feature_memory.asp

--
Peter Kurilecz