From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 10:44:22 -0700
On 7/25/05, Allen, Doug <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> See, if those who were using paper, would no longer use it, the mice would
> have to move on! A good thing for those who "hate paper"... :-)

I'm afraid I must STRONGLY disagree... almost every electronic record I have
created and/or managed has involved a mouse at some point in the process.
Now, in most cases, these mice don't produce "droppings", but they do leave
"trails"... in fact, in the control panel of most operating systems, users
have the ability to customize mouse trails. My assumption is that this would
make it easier to track the mice, or at least their "pointers".
 I also recall a warning being issued in the past by a leading computer
manufacturer about the proper methods for replacement of components related
to mice, much to the dismay of many:
Abstract: Mouse Balls available as FRU (Field Replacement Unit)

Mouse balls are now available as FRU. Therefore, if a mouse fails to operate
or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Because of
the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should
only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the
underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than
foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon manufacturer of
the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the opo-off method. Domestic
balls are replaced using the twist-off method. Mouse balls are not usually
static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden
discharge.

Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each replacer have a pair of spare balls for
maintaining optimum customer satisfaction; and that any customer missing his
balls should suspect local personnel of removing these necessary items.

To reorder, specify on the following:
P/N 33F8462 - Domestic Mouse Balls
P/N 33F8461 - Foreign Balls
 Now in these conditions, I would consider the further spread of the mouse
problem easy to limit... if the replacement parts are limited in function,
the population should diminish rapidly. Unfortunately, the introduction of
the "optical mouse" has resulted in a whole new set of concerns for the
continued infestation of electronic records.
 See Bill... you didn't even have to wait a year =)
 Larry