From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:26:43 -0700
I don't know of any regulations or rules, but when I worked for a
company that kept law firm libraries up-to-date ("page out - page in"),
we had to make sure to toss all superseded books. If an attorney grabbed
an out-of-date reference by accident and used it, it could cost him his
case. Case in point -- once a year, the case law publishers send out
supplements which are inserted into the backs of the books. Our employee
for that firm was delayed in getting those supplements into those books
and an attorney went to court using info from the now out-of-date book.
The judge, who knew the supplements had been sent out, was quite severe
with the attorney reprimanding him for not doing proper research and
threw out his case.

Nolene Sherman
Records Manager
CJ Segerstrom & Sons * South Coast Plaza