From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 10:49:39 -0700
I have to agree with some of what's already been said. Tom's process seems
pretty sound and it should ensure the quality of the capture, and likely the
images as well. I would have assumed (depending on the retention period for
the originals in question) that after two callbacks, if they were satisfied
that the content was accurate and complete, it would have been possible to
push for destruction of the originals.
 Again, I must qualify this based on WHAT the originals are, and what the
retention period for them is. No matter if the capture was 100% complete and
accurate, if the records have a 50 year or longer retention and there is no
backup beyond another copy of the electronic images, the cost of storing the
paper is minimal compared to losing the records. This isn't to say that in
ALL cases where paper records are scanned and imaged they will degrade or be
lost over time, but there is an increased risk that they won't be properly
handled to ensure they remain available throughout their required retention.

 And, there are costs that need to be budgeted for to accommodate this...
storage of a secondary set of records in a proper environment, periodic
migration to newer ("fresher") media, conversion as necessary to accommodate
any changes in format (or operating platform), and potential hardware
obsolescence, and all of this for the entire required retention period,
utilizing similar audit measures to ensure nothing is lost during the
conversions and migrations throughout the lifecycle.
 As to Bill's point of "double the stuff", well... I noticed your e-mail
address and that would indicate you're likely with a city or county
government. I'd think in that scenario, you might rather deal with double
the stuff than the potential of being "stuffless". =) If the records you're
dealing with are those that serve the public interest (including possibly
land, birth, death or other vital records) then even more stringent measures
should be taken to audit the accuracy of the capture and strong
consideration should be given to either generating a set of microfilm DURING
the capture process, which is much less expensive then doing it later, or
retaining the paper to produce replacement images in the event the
electronic records are compromised over time. It's difficult to ensure
funding will be continually available to convert and migrate images and/or
keep technology current in a taxpayer funded environment.

 I know without a procedure for double checking the accuracy we will never
> be authorized to destroy the paper document. The scanner checks as she
> is scanning, but we aren't comfortable destroying the paper original
> without double checking, however, we are a small department - and we are
> hoping that someone has a better system in place than clicking through
> page after page of scanned documents for accuracy.

 As you said, it's a small department... and while it might seem inefficient
to check every image, think of it this way... what if the images that are
unreadable are ones that YOU MIGHT NEED in 5, 10 or 15 years?? If these are
images of records that are less likely to be retained for more than 6 years
and their loss would constitute nothing more than a minor inconvenience,
well, my opinion might be different.
 Larry