From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:09:34 -0700
Gary L. Grieme said:
>The good news is we are evolving toward an environment where RM and IT can
>work together to enhance business processes, not just computer hardware and
>software.  Every year we put more of the infrastructure in place.  One
>example is the fact that IT is now wrestling with records retention
>questions, something they had no time for when they were debugging the
>network.  In spite of our screw-up we are moving toward the day where RM
>and IT truly coordinate to shield the business people in the front office
>from having to think about how computers and databases work.

I've been out traveling around the country so am a little late joining this
discussion, but I agree with Gary; I'm starting to see more joint ventures
between IT and RM, especially with issues where IT realizes they do not have
the time or expertise to deal with.

I've also noticed a trend where major vendors who deal with IT and other
senior management are starting to hire records managers, a definite plus for
our profession.  An esteemed colleague on this listserve was recently hired
by a major ECM/EDM vendor.  In addition, the Big Four (I remember them as
the Big Eight when I was in college) accounting and consulting firms as well
as others are seeking experienced records managers as part of their
consulting practices.  These companies definitely have access to and, in
some cases, the attention of senior management.

Just this last week, we met with our ECM vendor to strategize deployment of
the system within our company.  During a discussion of best practices, they
strongly recommended involving the organization's records manager during the
beginning planning stages, if not sooner, of any ECM/EDM project.  This
tells me we are making inroads slowly but surely, a positive development for
records management.  At the same time we still have some way to go.

Bruce L. White, MBA, CRM, PMP
Manager, Records Management
Sempra Global
619-696-4671
619-696-2534 (Fax)
619-952-7145 (Cell)

"While you're at it, you might as well
      add discovery to death and taxes."
                               Nicholas Ralph Baum

"Sempra Global is not the same company as the utility SDG&E or SoCal Gas,
and Sempra Global is not regulated by the California Public Utilities
Commission."