From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:37:00 -0600
In the past few years, there has been an explosion of ECM or enterprise wide
content management systems.   This type of software has created endless
possibilities and endless work for records managers.     Although the
Cohasset/ARMA/AIIM survey tells us what is happening with e-records, from 50,000
ft above the planet, I believe there is room for a more detailed exploration of
where organizations are ... in dealing with the electronic workplace at a
practical level.

I would appreciate those list serve members who are "planning for" or who are
"operating" ECM or EDMS Electronic Document Management Systems to assist me by
completing a survey with respect to such software.

The following is a link to the survey.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=618921283967
The survey will remain open until September 2nd at least ... we may extend it if
we find a number of people on holiday.  There are about 25 - 35 questions
(multiple choice for the most part).  It should only take 5 - 10 minutes to
complete.  The survey is entirely anonymous and therefore confidential ... we
cannot determine who or what organization is answering.

The survey has a number of questions with respect to budgeting and planning for
ECM as well as expenditures.  You may wish to pull files or documents on the
financial aspect of your ECM/EDMS before completing the survey.  It also has
some detailed questions about the various features available or planned for in
your ECM software as well as questions with respect to operation and use.  You
may therefore wish to drag out your RFP or Request for Proposal or other
planning documents.
Our intent is to get a sense of what organizations are actually doing with
respect to e-records and e-documents.  Many organizations hate to be on the
leading edge of new software but most hate to be the last kid on the block to
get the new toy.
We will publish the aggregate results in an e-mail to the list as well as an
html report on the Yahoo RM group.    I believe we can even create a link to the
final results report.

A more detailed analysis (perhaps by sector) will be done this fall.  The survey
software will allow us to filter by response e.g. sector, size of organization
as well as downloading the raw data for more detailed analysis.  We will try and
publish or present this appropriately ASAP.

I thank you in advance for your participation and I am sure that many on the
list will be extremely interested in the results.

Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly
St. Albert, Alberta