From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:45:29 -0400
On Aug 20, 2005, at 12:02 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:

> There are requirements for sprinkler systems in
> records center
> based on NFPA 13 which outlines sprinkler requirements.  If your
> racking will go
> above 12' then you will also enter into requirements for in-rack
> sprinkler systems.

This may not be true if you have and ESFR Type System, then the 12'
requirement may not be determining factor for in-rack sprinklers. this
is
where the NFPA 232 requirement to use a fire protection engineer to
help you with the records center design may come into effect.

> If all you will be storing is paper documents, then there will not be a
> requirement
> for a fire suppression system.

By this I mean a gas suppression, requirements of NFPA 13 and NFPA will
direct you here.

>  In fact, most fire marshals will fight
> for water even
> if you offered a gas suppression system alternative.  They like water.

I was in error on the 12' mandate, there are other factors that may
allow
alternative sprinkler systems rather than in-rack.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM