From:
Jim Connelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 08:42:00 -0600
With the usual apologies for cross-posting.
So far we have had 91 responses to the survey.  We will leave the survey open
for one more week.

I would encourage people to pass on the link if they know other organizations
that are in an ECM planning or operational environment.  This is especially true
for VARs or value added resellers.   The more responses we have, the likelier it
is that accurate trends will appear.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=618921283967

From a brief review of the results to date, almost half of the respondents are
involved in an actual Enterprise Content Management (or EDMS) project.  I assume
our list membership is fairly representative of business and government in
general.  In particular, the results indicate that at least 6% of all
organizations are looking seriously at ECM as a way to get efficiencies or some
form of competitive advantage.   To my mind, this therefore represents a
significant shift in organizational behaviour over the past five (5) years.  In
1999, I believe we could count on our fingers the number of significant ECM
projects in North America.

From some quick filtering of our respondents - it would also appear that 60% of
the organizations, that are actively using ECM, have budgets in excess of
$500,000!  This should be no great surprise to most our membership but may be of
interest to managers and ECM planners.  This represents a significant investment
in employees and their productivity.   And although empirical data on return on
investment (ROI) is always scarce, I have to assume these organizations have
done due diligence in assessing the value of these projects.  Note that we
intend only to post to the participating lists the "aggregate" results and not
this type of filtered analysis, but we will of course be looking to publish our
detailed analysis as soon as we can.

Finally I would like to express my gratitude to those who took the time to
comment on our survey as well as to give us feed back on their ECM experiences.
Your brief narratives and suggestions are of equal value in my opinion to the
raw data that we are collecting.

So thanks again to all our participants ... and keep those cards and letters
coming in ...

Regards
Jim

Jim Connelly