From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:52:39 -0700
> I'm not sure that there would be any business continuity plan that could
> accommodate the disaster that has befallen New Orleans. How would one be
> able to protect against such flooding? How would any organization have the
> time and the ability to move records to another facility, somewhere else?

Actually Doug, this is EXACTLY WHAT a BCP is supposed to address, not only
what might happen, but the worst case scenarios for the organization and
then it's up to the organization's risk management team to determine what
you design your BCP to protect for.

In New Orleans, they had the past knowledge of Camille to predict a prior
worst case scenario, and they have the ongoing knowledge of being below sea
level and being in the prevailing path of hurricanes to indicate a need to
consider either redundancy or primary storage in locations other than the
primary places of business.

With two days notice and highways being clogged as they were, no one is
going to move everything out to an alternate location after the storm
trackers predict landfall, but if you know there is a high probability that
it will happen sooner or later, you seek out a better alternative for your
primary data and information storage.

We're in known earthquake country and the standard for continuity here is
"minimum 40 miles radius from any known active earthquake fault" for hot
sites, warm sites or backup data storage. Many companies employ the use of
redundant copies (planned dispersal) for vital records protection. We always
live under the threat of "it's not IF, it's WHEN" the next big one is going
to happen. And when it comes to physical record storage, although you may
pay a bit more for deliveries, etc., the cost of storage is typically less
in more remote areas.

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA